10 Tips to combat dry skin this winter
Professional skincare therapist and expert advisor to local skincare brand Naturals Beauty, Jo Snyckers provides 10 Tips to Combat Dry Skin This Winter:
- Change your cleanser – if you notice that your skin is becoming sensitive and dry in the winter months, consider using a gentle cleansing milk or cream instead of gels as these can sometimes dehydrate the skin.
- Exfoliate your skin – gently removing a build-up of dead skin cells on the surface of the skin will allow the skin to absorb moisturising ingredients and restore your skin’s natural barrier function.
- Hydrate overnight – using super hydrating serums and creams at night will comfort the skin and encourage a healthy, glowing skin.
- Use a hydrating face mask – the active ingredients contained in a good quality hydrating mask will give your Winter skin the boost it needs twice or even three times a week.
- Sunscreen – it is vital to remember that we need to protect our skin from harmful UV rays everyday even when it is grey and cold outside – all light sources contain UV rays.
- Wash the skin with lukewarm water – not hot – and immediately moisturise once your skin is dry – also pat the skin don’t rub with a soft, clean towel.
- Include a serum to give the skin an extra boost – I use an oil based serum such as the Naturals Beauty Anti-Ageing Serum with certified organic rose hip oil which gives my skin what it needs and more.
- Dry Body Brushing – brushing the skin daily is an incredible practice for many reasons: it exfoliates, it starts your lymphatic system, it increases circulation and it warms you up – skin is visibly glowing and toned after regular, consistent body brushing.
- We tend to forget about our bodies when it is cold outside – our skin is our biggest organ and needs to be treated top to toe – I use the Naturals Beauty Vanilla Body Butter at least once a day, leaving my skin nourished with a great scent too.
- Have at least one full body massage and facial treatment per month – not only will this keep your skin comfortable and hydrated but will greatly enhance your sense of well-being from the inside out.